Most all of us will be giving one thing or another during the holidays, so today I will share a few challenges for you to consider as you do so.
- Next time you are in a conversation with someone and find your mind drifting away, come back. Engage again. Make eye contact. Really listen.
- Find a local charity that could use your help this month. Ring a bell. Serve a meal. Put food on the shelves at your local shelter. Sort gifts from a giving tree. Call them to get it on your calendar today.
- If you need to change your giving habits to reflect your financial state, have the courage to have the conversation with whoever you need to. For the first time this year my family is drawing names instead of buying for everyone. The other side of my family is exchanging gifts we have made instead of purchased. Others will likely be happy that you had the courage to speak the truth. Don’t spend more than you have.
- Give at least one experience instead of “stuff.”
- Finally, when you commit to being somewhere for the holidays, be there. Completely.
Remember to keep joy in your heart and a smile on your face as you give!
Now you can follow me on Twitter!